4, 304, 795 sad red blood cells

1

the awfulness of feeling insincere

about everything you do, the way you write

a poem that says "i think of traffic lights

the way they go

from green to yellow to red. all night long."

i was walking to your house with you in november

you were saying you could make a movie out of my life

you could star in it, you said.

i'm too ugly to star in a movie about my life, i said.

and i remember i could see my breath.


2

in june you said,

"i am leaving. it is june."

i read proust under my sheets

and felt a sadness that entered my body through the lungs

and was absorbed into my bloodstream

into each blood cell

eventually i had 4, 304, 795 sad red blood cells.

they listened to joy division together at microscopic sad listening parties

and i breathed in very hard


3

september, i was a chainlink fence

i was steel and hard and grey

and everyone just wanted to get past me

i walked to the supermarket by myself

i held my breath the entire time

and felt like

i was in a horribly low budget movie