new england is beautiful.

my mother, aunt and i went to peabody, massachussetts

the air there smells like clams and old ladies and

the people there pronounce it "peabuddy" and say it fast

half of the shops there are antique stores

"profiteers," my aunt says scornfully

we had lunch with my great aunts and their husbands

i had to try to explain what veganism is

"so yah don' eat any clahms maychael? thaya good fo' ya"

and one of my uncles was telling a joke to my mom

"so, a mayhn an' his whyeff, an' the mayhn dies, righ'?

and when the whyeff burries 'im, the pastah says somethin' like 'i'm so sawrry for yeh loss' an'

tha whyeff looks atim an' says "oh, i still gawt 'is mastacahd'"

and i looked at him right in the face and said

"that's fucking sexist."


and after lunch we went to a place called

"singing beach"

when i asked my mom why it was called that

she said "you'll see when we get there."


when i put my foot on the hot, hot sand it made a squeaking noise

like a note on a ukulele.

and then i listened to all of the people walking around on the beach

and it sounded like singing.


i looked to my mom and said

"singing beach."

and she looked at me and said

"singing beach."